Welcome to the 2023 Fantasy Football Week 3 Defense Stream-O-Matic!
The Denver Broncos defense has been a disappointment through two weeks and now they fly to Miami to try to stop the Dolphins offense. No way you start them this week. However, they play the Bears in Chicago and host the Jets in Weeks 4 & 5 so they might be worth stashing for a week.
Don't go chasing Tampa Bay's defense, despite averaging 13 points per game to start the year. Week 3 brings the Philadelphia Eagles to town before a road game in New Orleans against the Saints and then an early Week 5 bye week, followed by the Detroit Lions.
The Washington Commanders play back-to-back games against the Buffalo Bills and the Philadelphia Eagles (in Philly).
I hope this tool will be helpful when deciding between tough options this season. Last year, I was tracking the results of the Defense Stream-O-Matic, uploading its rankings to FantasyPros. It turned out to be the most accurate ranking of defenses through Week 17! The more in-season data we get, the more accurate the tool becomes!
Stream-O-Matic Week 2 Results
2023 Fantasy Football Week 3 Defense Stream-O-Matic
I use a traditional rotisserie scoring style commonly used in fantasy baseball season-long leagues to give point totals to each team.
The categories for the chart are listed below along with links to websites that I use to find this data.
- Rost%/Start%: Roster percentages based on Yahoo Fantasy Football leagues. This gives us an idea of who is available. This doesn’t factor into the standings and data will be updated after Waivers.
- Location (Home): Generally speaking, defenses play better at home than on the road. A five-point bonus is given to all home teams.
- Vegas (Opp Implied): Using Vegas odds, the spread and over/under generate an implied points total for each team. This game score portrays what the game flow could look like and, therefore, which Fantasy Football defenses are in a good position to succeed. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for breaking news, injuries, etc.
- Pressure (Opp Prss%): Thanks to Pro Football Reference, we have access to advanced passing statistics. I focused on pressure percentages allowed here which includes QB hurries, hits and sacks.
- DVOA: Probably the most popular tool for evaluating defenses, the DVOA efficiency ratings are utilized to give a strong baseline to the rankings. FTN Fantasy has DAVE DVOA that I am using for Week 3. "Use these ratings early in the year to avoid overreactions."
- ECR: The team that is ranked No.1 on FantasyPros ECR for the week gets the maximum points for the week. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for updated rankings.
- Proj: I used Yahoo Week 3 projections for this column. It is added as a bonus and not scored like roto for all the other columns. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for updated projections.
2023 Fantasy Football Week 3 Defense Stream-O-Matic Chart
Saturday Night Update
- Ravens climb two spots - Richardson Out/Minshew in
max score with home-field five-point bonus but without projection bonus is 165
median score is 86.4
Check out more Fantasy Football content