Welcome to the 2023 Fantasy Football Week 4 Defense Stream-O-Matic!
It's official, the Washington Commanders are the team to target when streaming a defense! Sam Howell has been sacked 19 times and thrown five interceptions. The Philadelphia Eagles defense is not going to an option for streamers in Weeks 4 & 8, but the Chicago Bears, Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants get to feast in the three weeks in between!
Speaking of the Giants and Bears, according to Fantasy Life DvP, they round out the top three offenses to stream against. The Giants face the Seahawks and the Bears matchup with the Broncos this week. Yes, that same Broncos defense that just gave up 70 points to the Miami Dolphins.
Despite great matchups on paper, the Dallas Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars were huge letdowns in Week 3.
I hope this tool will be helpful when deciding between tough options this season. Last year, I was tracking the results of the Defense Stream-O-Matic, uploading its rankings to FantasyPros. It turned out to be the most accurate ranking of defenses through Week 17! The more in-season data we get, the more accurate the tool becomes!
Stream-O-Matic Week 3 Results
2023 Fantasy Football Week 4 Defense Stream-O-Matic
I use a traditional rotisserie scoring style commonly used in fantasy baseball season-long leagues to give point totals to each team.
The categories for the chart are listed below along with links to websites that I use to find this data.
- Rost%/Start%: Roster percentages based on Yahoo Fantasy Football leagues. This gives us an idea of who is available. This doesn’t factor into the standings and data will be updated after Waivers.
- Location (Home): Generally speaking, defenses play better at home than on the road. A five-point bonus is given to all home teams.
- Vegas (Opp Implied): Using Vegas odds, the spread and over/under generate an implied points total for each team. This game score portrays what the game flow could look like and, therefore, which Fantasy Football defenses are in a good position to succeed. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for breaking news, injuries, etc.
- Pressure (Opp Prss%): Thanks to Pro Football Reference, we have access to advanced passing statistics. I focused on pressure percentages allowed here which includes QB hurries, hits and sacks.
- DVOA: Probably the most popular tool for evaluating defenses, the DVOA efficiency ratings are utilized to give a strong baseline to the rankings. FTN Fantasy has DAVE DVOA that I am using for Week 4. "Use these ratings early in the year to avoid overreactions."
- ECR: The team that is ranked No.1 on FantasyPros ECR for the week gets the maximum points for the week. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for updated rankings.
- Proj: I used Yahoo Week 4 projections for this column. It is added as a bonus and not scored like roto for all the other columns. This data will be updated later in the week to adjust for updated projections.
2023 Fantasy Football Week 4 Defense Stream-O-Matic Chart
updated Saturday Night - implied totals, ECR rankings and Yahoo projections
|SCORE||Team||Rost%||Start%||Opp||IMP||Def DVOA||Opp Off DVOA||Prss%||ECR||Proj|
max score with home-field five-point bonus but without projection bonus is 165
median score is 80.8
Check out more Fantasy Football content